Home »  News »  India

Court remands Abu Jundal in judicial custody till December 10

Tuesday, 27 November 2012 - 4:31pm IST | Place: New Delhi | Agency: PTI
The court had issued production warrant against Jundal after he could not appear before it in connection with an FIR lodged by NIA following unearthing of LeT conspiracy for terror strikes across the country.
  • Getty Images

LeT terrorist and 26/11 Mumbai attack key handler Abu Jundal was on Tuesday remanded to judicial custody till December 10 by a Delhi court in connection with a case lodged by the NIA against him for allegedly conspiring to launch terror strikes across the country.

Jundal was produced before district judge I S Mehta, who had on Monday directed the Tihar Jail authorities to produce the accused before him, and the court sent him to jail under judicial custody for two weeks, the court sources said.

The court had on Tuesday issued production warrant against Jundal after he could not appear before it in connection with an FIR lodged by National Investigation Agency (NIA) following unearthing of a Lashkar-e-Toiba's (LeT) conspiracy for terror strikes across the country.

Jundal had earlier claimed before the court that he was "tortured" physically and mentally during the probe by various agencies since his arrest in June this year.

Gujarat ATS had earlier taken Jundal's custody for questioning on his alleged role in the 2006 Karanawati Express train blast at Ahmedabad station. Jundal is alleged to be one of the main conspirators of the blast.

The court on October 20 had remanded Jundal to judicial custody after the NIA had said he was not required for further custodial interrogation in connection with the case.

Prior to that, Jundal had been handed over to the ATS Mumbai after Delhi Police had said he was no longer required to be interrogated by it in the Jama Masjid attack case.

Mumbai ATS had secured his custody in connection with the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case, the 26/11 Mumbai mayhem, the 2010 German bakery blast and the Nasik Academy attack. (More) PTI ABA RAX 11271556 NNNN

PAK-MUMBAI ZCZC PRI GEN INT .ISLAMA FGN7 PAK-MUMBAI Bail plea of Pak suspect charged over 26/11 attacks rejected

Islamabad, Nov 27 (PTI) A Pakistani court today rejected the bail petition filed by Jamil Ahmad, one of the seven men charged by authorities with planning, financing and executing the Mumbai terror attacks four years ago.

A two-judge Rawalpindi bench of the Lahore High Court rejected Ahmad's petition after hearing arguments from his counsel and the lawyer of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA).

Earlier this month, the court had issued a notice to the FIA to respond to Ahmad's bail plea.

According to a chargesheet filed by the FIA in 2009, Ahmad and another accused, Mohammad Younas Anjum, provided Rs 3.98 million to Lashkar-e-Taiba member Shahid Jamil Riaz for preparing for the Mumbai attacks.

The two men sent the funds to Riaz's two bank accounts in Karachi from four banks in Punjab and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.

Ahmad, who has not been accused of being a member of the LeT, was also charged with obtaining a satellite phone connection from Jeddah in Saudi Arabia that was used by the ten LeT terrorists who attacked Mumbai.

The seven Pakistani suspects, including LeT operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, are currently being held in Adaila Jail in Rawalpindi.

Ahmad's lawyer has claimed that he was running a private business in Saudi Arabia and was not involved in the terror attacks that killed 166 people in November 2008.


Jump to comments

RELATED