Home »  News »  India

Ahmedabad gang-rape victim attempts suicide in court premises

Wednesday, 23 January 2013 - 7:34pm IST | Place: Ahmedabad | Agency: dna

After the complainant in a 2007 case came to know that the next hearing was fixed for February 8, she walked out of courtroom and consumed some poisonous substance, saying 'justice was being delayed'.

“I have not got justice, either from the police or from the court. I have been deserted; nobody in society has accepted me. Today, I even failed to meet death.” These are the words of the alleged gang rape victim who tried to kill herself inside a courtroom on Wednesday.

The alleged victim, 31-year-old Khusboo (name changed), consumed a poisonous substance while standing in the witness box in the presence of magistrate SV Parekh in a Gheekanta courtroom. She fainted in the courtroom after consuming the poison. Lawyers present at the spot called a ‘108’ ambulance which took her to VS Hospital where she is currently still under treatment.

Talking to journalists at the hospital, Khushboo claimed that she had tried to commit suicide out of despair as her quest for justice had yielded no results though five years had passed after the incident.

The woman was allegedly gang raped on April 6, 2007 by the owner of a garment manufacturing factory and three others with the help of two female workers. When the Amraiwadi police did not register her complaint, her mother had approached the court for justice.

After an inquiry that lasted one year, the police filed a final report in the court stating that the girl was suffering from some psychological disorder. The police report further alleged that she was actually having an affair with one of her coworkers, one Navin Koshti, who is also an accused in the case.

The girl’s lawyer had filed a protest petition against the police report in 2009 and, since then, the case has been pending in court.

According to the complaint filed in court by her mother, Khushboo was working for MJ Garment at CTM when the alleged rape occurred. On April 6, 2007, when she went to the factory to work, her co-workers Jyotsana and Sangita had allegedly made her consume toxic liquor.

After that she became semi-conscious and the factory owner, Mahesh Vaishnav, and Raju Takla along with two people, namely Mama Cutting Master and Soni, who were not known to her, had allegedly raped her by turns. When she regained consciousness, the accused warned her not to tell anybody about the incident. She had then returned home.

According to the complaint case, they did not lodge a complaint out of fear of social humiliation. However, when the girl lost her mental health after the alleged incident, she was taken to the VS Hospital where she was treated for some days. Khushboo’s mother has alleged that her daughter had lost her mental balance because of the trauma of rape.

Jump to comments

Recommended Content