Lyricist and poet Javed Akhtar, eminent editor HK Dua, Prof CNR Rao (chairman of the scientific advisory council to the PM), and former Isro chairman G Madhavan Nair are being nominated to the Rajya Sabha, the government said on Monday.
The four have been nominated in place of Hema Malini, Dara Singh, Dr Chandan Mitra and Dr Narain Singh Manaklao, whose term expired in August. K Kasturirangan and Bimal Jalan too retired in August, but the government is yet to decide on who will fill in their vacancies.
Under article 80 of the Constitution, the President of India nominates 12 members to the Rajya Sabha for a term of six years. Nominated members should have "special knowledge or practical experience in fields like literature, science, art or social service." The practice of nominating MPs to the upper house began in 1952 and like all Rajya Sabha members one-third nominated members must retire every two years.
Javed Akhtar received the Padma Bhushan in 2007 and the Padmashri in 1999. His wife, actress Shabana Azmi, was a Rajya Sabha member from 1997 to 2003. HK Dua has edited The Times of India, Hindustan Times and The Indian Express and now edits The Tribune. A Padma Bhushan, he has also served as media adviser to former PMs HD Deve Gowda and AB Vajpayee.
G Madhavan Nair is the chairman, Space Commission, and acting chairman of governing body, Antrix Corporation, Bangalore. He received the Padma Vibhushan in January. Prof CNR Rao is honorary president of Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore.
- 7 family members found murdered in Ghaziabad, sharp edged weapon used
- Now, NMC woman officer alleges sexual harassment by her senior
- Sanjay Dutt's quick shift from Mumbai to Pune brings back memories of 'Operation X'
- Two cops part of CM Akhilesh Yadav's security, seen hitting each other with lathis
- PM's office has never become the target of such humour and sarcasm as now: Arun Jaitley
- Manmohan Singh to table UPA II govt's last report card on Wednesday
- Graft case: Court extends CBI custody of key coalgate probe member Vivek Dutt, 3 others
- Jessica Lal murder case: Shayan Munshi to be charged with perjury
- Chidambaram for plugging regulatory gaps in financial sector
- Delhi gang-rape case: Court summons lady IO
- Live! IPL spot-fixing: Vindoo Dara Singh spills the beans, was known as Jack in betting circles - 6 hours ago
- Phaneesh Murthy's second time around. Araceli Roiz alleges sexual harassment - 23 hours ago
- IPL 6: CSK beat Mumbai Indians by 48 runs, make it to fourth consecutive IPL final - 23 hours ago
- Sexual harassment: Few learn from mistakes - 8 hours ago
- Sreesanth bought clothes worth Rs2 lakh, gifted Blackberry Z10 to girlfriend: Police - 22 hours ago
- Sreesanth and the complete list of accused in IPL spot-fixing - 21 hours ago
- Sanjay Dutt's quick shift from Mumbai to Pune brings back memories of 'Operation X' - 8 hours ago
- Aishwarya Rai-Bachchan extends Cannes stay for amFar - 20 hours ago
- I'm innocent, never indulged in spot-fixing: Sreesanth - 21 hours ago
- iGate sacking: What LinkedIn users are saying - 22 hours ago