There seems to be little progress in giving titles of forest land to tribals. Thousands of claims have been received, but 17 states and union territories are yet to disburse titles. Experts feel the states are intentionally delaying the process.
Of the 22.99 lakh claims the ministry of tribal affairs has received so far, a little over 30,200 titles have been given. Ministry officials said 1.54 lakh titles are ready, but states are not disbursing them.
"We have been sending reminders to state governments every month to expedite the process of title distribution, but there is no response. Implementation of the Forest Rights Act is a long process. It can't happen overnight," Girish Srivastava, director, ministry of tribal affairs, said.
"Seven states have started distributing titles. But bigger states, such as Assam, Bihar, Karnataka, Orissa, UP, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Arunachal, have not begun the process yet," he said.
The ministry has received 3.29 lakh claims from Andhra, 2.45 lakh claims from Maharashtra, 4 lakh from Chhattisgarh, 3.66 lakh from Madhya Pradesh, 2.92 lakh from Orissa and 1.38 lakh claims from West Bengal.
NGOs working with tribals suspect the state governments are purposely delaying the process. "The records are fudged. State government officials have been demanding income certificates and other non-relevant documents from tribals. Instead of expediting the process, they are creating hurdles. The states are at fault. They have put wrong officers on the job," Father Xavier of Rajpipla Social Service Society said.
Xavier, who has been working for tribals in Gujarat, said, "There are several irregularities in land records. State government officers are hiding facts about encroachment on forest land."
- 32-year-old Thane man killed due to spat over auto rickshaw fare
- 12-year-old Indian-origin boy Sathwik Karnik wins National Geographic Bee contest
- Govt working to make defence acquisitions transparent: Manmohan Singh
- Everyone, including Congress ready for polls: Akhilesh Yadav
- Teenaged girl gang-raped in Uttar Pradesh, three arrested
- Now, a new mango named 'Nirbhaya' after Delhi gang-rape victim
- Manmohan Singh, 2 others in fray for May 30 Rajya Sabha polls in Assam
- dna exclusive: PMO steps in to sort out Aakash mess
- Except for being BCCI chief's son-in-law, who is Gurunath Meiyappan?
- Rahul Gandhi discusses strategy for upcoming Delhi assembly polls
- Live! IPL spot-fixing shame: Mumbai police serves summons to Gurunath Meiyappan - 11 hours ago
- Sreesanth may claim innocence but - 13 hours ago
- Soldier hacked to death in London street in suspected Islamist attack, Nigerian link possible - 14 hours ago
- 28-year-old Mumbai woman hangs herself while her boyfriend watches via webcam - 11 hours ago
- Sizzling chemistry continues between Ranbir Kapoor, Deepika Padukone despite break-up - 1 day ago
- Bride killed on eve of wedding, but who's the killer? - 10 hours ago
- I am pregnant with Phaneesh Murthy's child: Araceli Roiz - 3 hours ago
- Match-fixing is not a new phenomenon in Indian cricket - 23 hours ago
- Aila! Salman Khan and Aamir Khan together! - 9 hours ago
- Bomb threat call received at IIM Bangalore - 8 hours ago