Though Surtis simmered in outrage stoked after a teenaged schoolgirl was gangraped on Friday, they thwarted the possibility of a communal flare-up by ignoring the call for a bandh on Monday, made by the VHP. The accused belong to the minority community. Shops and commercial establishments across Surat carried on with business, oblivious to the bandh.
As for the accused in the Surat gangrape case, one of them, Shahid, might be selling MMS clips of gangrape incidents for profit, said police sources apprised of the investigations. Forty-two unsavoury MMS clips, of which seven involved gangrapes, were stored his Shahid's phone.
The clips were probably shot to blackmail victims and the accused made money from them, the sources said. The police did not rule out the possibility of the three accused being involved in a sex racket.
- IIM-A to review army's officer selection
- Rahul Gandhi reviews Jharkhand, Odisha political situation with state Congress units
- UPA-II mirrors rule of Bahadur Shah Zafar: Rajiv Pratap Rudy
- BJP to abstain from voting on May 30 Rajya Sabha polls
- Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah inducts former opposition leader SR Patil into ministry
- Where were you when chit funds cheated people, panel asks RBI
- UPA's glass filled with corruption: Narendra Modi
- UIDAI unveils three online identity authentication services
- Militants kill four army soldiers in Kashmir
- Alleged Chinese spy detained by police in Dharamsala
- Samsung launches its cheapest Galaxy phone at Rs5,240 - 21 hours ago
- Live! IPL spot-fixing shame: Gurunath Meiyappan placed bets through Vindoo, bookie Jupiter, say sources - 4 hours ago
- IPL 6: Mumbai in final, beat Rajasthan by four wickets - 18 hours ago
- Sreesanth gifted another smartphone to a girl - 19 hours ago
- IPL 6: Rain could play spoilsport in Rajasthan Royals-Mumbai Indians play-off match - 23 hours ago
- Impersonator 'cop' arrested from Sreesanth's house - 21 hours ago
- IPL spot-fixing shame: Police arrest Gurunath Meiyappan - 18 hours ago
- Gurunath Meiyappan neither owner, CEO nor CSK team principal: India Cements - 21 hours ago
- Rahul Dravid shows the way - 5 hours ago
- Gurunath Meiyappan's Twitter bio changed, CSK info removed but tweets still show links to team - 19 hours ago