Film: The Last Stand
Cast: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Forest Whitaker, Johnny Knoxville, Rodrigo Santoro, Luis Guzmán, Jaimie Alexander Eduardo Noriega
Director: Jee-woon Kim
The set-up: Small-town sheriff Ray Owens (Ahnold) takes on a Mexican mafioso who is making a get away from the United States in a souped-up wondercar. With the FBI rendered incompetent by the ‘criminal genius’ of the on-the-loose drug crimelord Gabriel Cortez (Noreiga), teaming up with local misfits and half-wits (whose hearts, of course, are in the right place).
Without delving too deeply into the plot, what can be said is that the film, from time to time, delivers on chases, flying punches and machine gun fire. Knoxville, with his usually Jackassery, is quite entertaining as the local gun-crazy simpleton and Guzmán, as always, brings something to a nondescript bit role of a local law enforcer.
The Last Stand – a humble comeback vehicle- isn’t Arnold’s finest moment but neither one of his worst.
The man was always a half-decent actor (well, peers like Steven Seagal and Jean Claude Van Damme would make anyone seem like Laurence Olivier). And to his credit, his physicality still gives him a decent on-screen presence and his famous accent, which has no business being in the Wild West, remaining endearingly intact.
The Last Stand is a watchable action movie that, while having a lot of scope for improvement by way of script writing and more breath-taking stunts, packs a few thrills and laughs. It could have been greater, but then again it could also have been way way worse.
- I want to contribute to society, nation-building via films: Aamir Khan
- Want to take my kids to Peshawar: Shah Rukh Khan
- More singers, few legends due to technology: Sonu Nigam
- Sandeep Khosla gives his take on the plethora of Fashion weeks
- Sonam Kapoor welcomes Katrina Kaif, the latest actress to become brand ambassador for L'Oreal
- Paul Walker died from multiple injuries, 'Fast & Furious 7' filming halted
- AbRam is very handsome and healthy now, he also has dimples: Shah Rukh Khan
- 'Fast & Furious' remember Paul Walker with heartfelt tribute video on YouTube
- All about the fab forties
- Salman Khan is a bigger star than me: Aamir Khan
Film: The Last Stand
- I love watching 'Bigg Boss 7': Dimple Kapadia - 20 hours ago
- Paul Walker's autopsy completed - 18 hours ago
- Salman Khan is a bigger star than me: Aamir Khan - 13 hours ago
- Exit polls predict BJP victory in four of five states - 3 hours ago
- Dad hasn't accepted I can have girlfriends: Ranbir Kapoor - 17 hours ago