Her biggest hit so far is the spunky Jiya Re from Jab Tak Hai Jaan, playfully pictured on Anushka Sharma in the Yash Raj film. The song cemented her position as a hot new voice to watch out for, even as her first hit was Ishq Wala Love from Student Of The Year. You may remember the 28-year-old from the now defunct pop group Aasma, but the versatile singer has since been taken under the able wings of AR Rahman, who is something of a champion for young new talent today. Her other memorable song is Nazar Laaye from Raanjhanaa.
The 20-year-old son of powerhouse vocalist Shankar Mahadevan made his singing debut this year with the track Zinda from Bhaag Milkha Bhaag — easily one of the most rousing tracks in the film. He’s even lent his voice to the film’s title track with Punjabi folk singer Arif Lohar (remember Alif Allah (Jugni) from Pakistan’s Coke Studio 3). Interestingly, the talented young lad already has some composing chops under his belt. Last year, he not only composed a background track for Deepa Mehta’s Midnight’s Children but also composed music for a Marathi film called Swapna Tuzha Aani Mazha with his cousin Soumil Shringarpure.
A trained Hindustani classical singer, 26-year-old Arijit Singh started his musical journey in Bollywood with the reality show Fame Gurukul in 2005. While he didn’t win, he did land a programming assistant job with music director Pritam. Since then, he has lent vocals to a few songs in films like Players, Cocktail and Barfi! However, people really sat up and took notice of him when he sang Raabta from Agent Vinod followed by massively popular songs like Tum Hi Ho and Milne Hai Mujhse Aayi from Aashiqui 2 this year. He seems poised to take over the soulful romantic singer mantle from Atif Aslam.
Trained in Western classical (she finished eight grades of training at the Tinity College of Music) as well as Carnatic music, 28-year-old Mili Nair got rave reviews for lending a contemporary touch to Amit Trivedi’s breezy track Meethi Boliyan from Kai Po Che earlier this year. Also an independent jazz singer/songwriter, Mili has previously worked with AR Rahman on Mani Ratnam’s Raavanan and more recently in Raanjhanaa’s Tamil version, Ambikapathy.
- Disney purchases distribution rights of 'Indiana Jones'
- Singer Susan Boyle sets new resolution for 2014
- Liked Begum Para's multi-layered character: Madhuri Dixit on 'Dedh Ishqiya'
- Harry Styles and Kendall Jenner spotted at gay bar in Manhattan
- Madhuri Dixit vows Huma with her nuanced performance in 'Dedh Ishqiya'
- Katy Perry reveals why she briefly broke-up with John Mayer
- Josh Brolin was affected psychologically while shooting 'Oldboy' says Spike Lee
- Perfectionist Aamir Khan to attend Chennai International Film Festival
- Court suspends 10-day jail term of Bollywood actor Rajpal Yadav
- Nicole Scherzinger spotted heading for night out in London
- Aamir Khan finest actor, always inspiring: Shah Rukh Khan - 1 day ago
- Capital punishment: Delhi faces President's rule - 11 hours ago
- Not batting well, but it happens, says MS Dhoni - 9 hours ago
- After Bullett Raja & R...Rajkumar in two weeks, Sonakshi Sinha has two releases on the same day - 9 hours ago
- Brian to make comeback on 'Family Guy' - 23 hours ago