Here is a list of the films that have been officially nominated by their respective countries to represent them at the upcoming Academy Awards:
1) Television is a Bangladeshi film directed by Mostofa Sarwar Farooki and has Shahir Huda Rumi, Chanchal Chowdhury, Mosharraf Karim and Nusrat Imroz Tisha in lead roles. It is produced by Chabial and co-produced with Star cineplex bangladesh and Mogador film, Germany.
The plot of the movie revolves around a village in rural Bangladesh that is governed by an Islamist cleric (Shahir Huda Rumi) who bans every kind of image including television from the area, but is challenged by the communities only Hindu family who buy a TV set. The movie ends with the cleric reaching a transcendental state due to the television where he and his God are unified.
The Television was well recieved at various film festivals like Busan International Film Festival, Dubai International Film Festival, Asia Pacific Film Festival Award and Gotteborg International Film Festival.
2) The Grandmaster is a Hong Kong–Chinese martial arts drama film based on the life story of the Wing Chun grandmaster Ip Man. The film is directed by Wong Kar-wai and produced by Ng See-yuen, Megan Ellison and Wong Kar-wai. It has Tony Leung, Zhang Ziyi, Chang Chen, Zhao Benshan, Song Hye-kyo, and Wang Qingxiang in lead roles. The film earned $2.7 million at the Hong Kong box office and $50 million at the mainland Chinese box office.
The Grandmaster was well received at the Berlin International Film Festival.
3) The Good Road is a Indian film in Gujarati directed by Gyan Correa. The film stars Ajay Gehi and Sonali Kulkarni while the rest of the cast are locals. It is produced by the National Film Development Corporation (NFDC).
The movie shows a relatively unknown India with several stories intertwining with the centre of the action being a highway in the rural lands of Gujarat near the town of Kachch.
The film won the Best Gujarati film at the 60th National Film Awards and is the first Gujarati film to be selected for the Academy Awards. Resul Pookutty, Academy Award winner for Best Sound Mixing for the film Slumdog Millionaire, is the sound designer for the movie.
4) The Great Passage is a Japanese film directed by Yuya Ishii. The film stars Ryuhei Matsuda, Aoi Miyazaki, Joe Odagiri, Kaoru Kobayashi and Go Kato. It is produced by Tomoo Tsuchii, Kimitaka Goka, Fumitsugu Ikeda and Yasuyuki Iwanami.
The story describes how a serious, quiet and shy young man pursues his massive project at work with great diligence and passion while winning his dream girl along the way.
The movie was well received at Hong Kong International Film Festival, Seattle International Film Festival and Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival.
5) Soongava: Dance of the Orchids is a Nepalese drama film written and directed by Subarna Thapa. It is also Nepal's first lesbian film. The film stars Saugat Malla and Deeya Maskey.
The plot of the film revolves around the two protoganists Saugat Malla and Deeya Maskey who develop a deep escalating friendship which later turns into a physical relation. The movie depicts their strength to overcome the hardships.
The was well received at Montréal World Film Festival and Toronto Inside Out Lesbian and Gay Film and Video Festival.
6) Zinda Bhaag is a Pakistani film directed by Meenu Gaur and Farjad Nabi, and produced by Mazhar Zaidi. The film stars Naseeruddin Shah, Amna Ilyas, Khurram Patras, Salman Ahmad Khan and Zohib.
The film is based in Lahore and is about 3 young men who are trying to escape their monotonous life and find success in least expected ways.
The film won 3 awards out of 4 nominations at Mosaic MISAFF festival. Pakistan has submitted a film for the first time in 50 years.
7) Transit is a Filipino independent drama film written and directed by Hannah Espia. It is produced by Paul Soriano and stars Irma Adlawan, Marc Alvarez, Mercedes Cabral, Jasmine Curtis and Ping Medina in lead roles.
The plot revolves around an immigrant worker father's struggle to keep his son from getting deported according to a new Israeli law which deports children of foreign workers.
The film has received numerous awards at the Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival and is well received at the Pusan International Film Festival.
8) Ilo Ilo is a Singaporean family film. The film is directed by Anthony Chen which happens to be his debut film. It has an international star cast comprising of Singaporean actor Chen Tianwen, Malaysian actress Yeo Yann Yann and Filipino actress Angeli Bayani. It is produced by Ang Hwee Sim, Anthony Chen and Wahyuni A. Hadi.
Set in Singapore, ILO ILO chronicles the relationship between the Lim family and their newly arrived maid, Teresa. Like many other Filipino women, she has come to this city in search of a better life. Her presence in the family worsens their already strained relationship.
The film won the Golden Camera award at the Cannes Film Festival and was well received at the London Film Festival.
9) Juvenile Offender is a South Korean film about a teenage criminal who reunites with his mother who gave him up at birth. It is directed by Kang Yi-kwan and is produced by Hyeon Byeong-cheol.
The film won awards at the Tokyo International Film Festival and Cinemanila International Film Festival and was well received at the Baeksang Arts Awards.