* Gulzar's real name is Sampooran Singh Kalra. He took the pen name Gulzar Deenvi only after becoming an author.
* While popularly known for being a lyricist, he is also an acclaimed film director and dialogue writer too.
* He won the Academy award for the title song of Slumdog Millionaire 'Jai ho'.
* Gulzar writes generally in Hindustani but is also known to have written in other dialects of Hindi such as Braj Bhasha, Khariboli, Haryanvi and Marwari.
* He has worked with every top Bollywood music director including but not limited to Rahul Burman, AR Burman, Vishal Bhardwaj, Anu Malik and Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy.
* Before becoming a poet, he was a car mechanic.
* He has won 20 Filmfare Awards, a bunch of National Film Awards and also a Grammy Award.
* On Saturday, he won the Dadasaheb Phalke award.
* He only wears crisp white kurtas, and Jeetendra's character in Khusbhoo was fashioned after Gulzaar sahab.
* He had once written the lyrics of a song that read like a list called Mera Kuch Samaan that won Asha Bhosle a National Award.
Here are a few of our favourite Gulzaar videos: