Director: Simon West
Cast: Nicolas Cage, Josh Lucas, Malin Åkerman
Will Montgomery (Cage) is the cleverest thief in America. Well, at least everyone onscreen thinks he is and makes sure to hail him as such using different words. It's really hard to tell if they're being sarcastic because there isn't anything remotely smart he pulls off unless he is fist-fighting, though his ability to dodge bullets is making waves in academic circles right now.
Anyway, fresh out of jail after 10 years, he must rescue his daughter from a former colleague who's driving around with her in the trunk of his car.
A father with special set of skills in a race against time to save his abducted daughter from remorseless criminals? No doesn't sound familiar at all! Unlike Taken, Stolen doesn't really bother getting into the heart of stupid things like family dynamics, back story, and character development. (apart from the fact that the character used to listen to Creedence Clearwater Revival before pulling of his 'ingenious' heists).
Then there's the one-legged villain played by a (intentionally?) miscast Lucas. While deformity ranks high in Ian Fleming's book on villainy, one wonders how one bullet to the leg made his former partner an out-and-out psycho.
Stolen alternates between being lacklustre and pretty ridiculous. Should you watch it, who knows? Despite giving memorable performances in films like Leaving Las Vegas and Adaptation, the Oscar winning Cage has become a major form of entertainment in himself with his tendency to be theatrical. Or is it that dubious choice of films has become a major form of entertainment in itself, thanks to the internet.
Stolen isn't worth a lot of scrutiny. As an action movie it doesn't not excite. Even when Cage's presence alone is a throwback to the memorable action flicks of the 90s, which will continue to overshadow pedestrian stuff like this one. Avoid.
- 28 days without a break!
- Katrina Kaif creates more 'Dhoom' as she is crowned world's sexiest Asian woman for the fourth time
- Nelson Mandela may no longer be with us, but his journey continues on: Morgan Freeman
- Salman Khan releases 'Jai Ho' poster on Twitter
- Viaan is a star, Shilpa Shetty
- Aamir Khan learns tap dance from Dein Perry for 'Dhoom 3'
- Perception of me being unfaithful too stretched: Ranbir Kapoor
- Kim Kardashian-Kanye West want to marry at Palace of Versailles
- Imran Khan and wife Avantika expecting their first baby next year
- Even today, reaping benefits of 'Bobby': Dimple Kapadia
- More than 2 million stolen Facebook, Google and Yahoo passwords leaked online - 1 day ago
- Rattled Congress takes refuge in blame game - 7 hours ago
- 10 things Nelson Mandela said that you have to know - 7 hours ago
- It was a bad performance and it started with the bowling: MS Dhoni - 3 hours ago
- Mumbai court orders fresh trial in Salman Khan hit-and-run case - 23 hours ago