Sony, Monday-Thursday, 9 pm
What is it about: A Gujarati joint family wherein the grandmother is worried about her granddaughter Chanchan —who is of a marriageable age — not finding a groom and wants her son and daughter-in-law to start the hunt for a groom pronto.
Characters: It has a nice blend of contemporary and traditional characters. Even the professions each of them follows is out-of-the-box. The protagonist Chanchan is a dog trainer, her brother is pursuing to be a wild life photographer, sister is a tattoo artist, father’s a painter and mother’s a history professor. On the other hand, Supriya Pathak’s character Umaben is as orthodox as can be. Her son Manav (newbie Farhan Khan) is the hero and sparks have already flown between Chanchan and him in a typical filmi manner where they accidentally bump into each other.
But it’s the sparks between Chanchan and Umaben, whose house she will eventually come as a bahu that will prove to be explosive and interesting. One has to mention the four dogs, especially the fluffy Pooch Pooch who is oh-so-cute and undoubtedly the scene-stealer!
Visuals: That most serials these days have good production values is heartening and Chanchan is no exception. From the lavish house to the outdoors to the ostentatious wedding sequence, the visuals are pleasing to the eye.
Dialogue: Whether it’s the casual conversation between Chanchan and her friends — which is very today — or the simmering undertones in the dialogue between Umaben and Chanchan, it’s quite engaging. Worth mentioning is the one where the priest tells Chanchan that the temple is closed and cannot be opened because Vishnuji is sleeping and in the next instant is willing to open when Umaben offers him a thousand rupee note. When Chanchan cries foul, Umanben coolly tells her, ‘Kya tum yeh nahi jaanti soye huye Vishnu ko Laksmi hi jagati hai!’
Way forward: It is undoubtedly a saas-bahu saga but with a difference. With Supriya Pathak’s strict sarcy act providing the perfect foil to Sanaya Irani’s chutzpah, this should turn out interesting, provided the pace is maintained.
- Daniel Kim's mashup of 2013's Billboard chart toppers goes viral on YouTube
- Lady Gaga saves fan from committing suicide
- Akshay Kumar is very good at comedy, says mom-in-law Dimple Kapadia
- Krushna Abhishek proposes to Kashmira Shah
- Former Bigg Boss inmate Sofia Hayat files complaint against Armaan Kohli
- Priyanka Chopra glams up 'Gunday' as cabaret dancer
- Bigg Boss 7: Sunny Leone to turn up the heat as Armaan, Kushaal, Sangram & Ajaz vie for her attention
- Homosexuality in Bollywood films
- Shatrughan Sinha to receive 'lifetime achievement' award
- Daniel Radcliffe says was laughing while filming first gay sex scene
- Delhi LIVE: BJP rejects offer to form government, Lt Governor invites Aam Aadmi Party for discussions - 3 hours ago
- Sreesanth ties knot with Jaipur princess - 11 hours ago
- Rajinikanth turns 63: List of popular dialogues from his movies - 13 hours ago
- A sad day for India and for the world: American LGBT organisation All Out - 11 hours ago
- BJP MLAs want party to back AAP; not in favour of Delhi state assembly re-elections - 17 hours ago