Book: Silk Fish Opium
Author: Jaina Sanga
Rating : 3 1/2
There are countless tales of Hindu-Muslim romance that have been talked about through the years. But Jaina’s debut novel tugs a heartstring somewhere in you. Set in the time of Partition, when the nation bled, she takes you through the simple love story of Rohini, the daughter of a rich Gujarati silk merchant and Hanif, a simple and unrecognised musician. Their innocent love, however, is complicated by the troubled time of Independence and the bloodshed that followed.
You can relate to Hanif and Rohini, their concerns and some tough decisions that they have to make, which determine and constantly change to course of their lives. As the characters grow, mature and learn to adapt to the changing world around them, the mood of that turbulent time becomes more apparent to those of us who did not experience the Partition itself.
Startling relevations, heartbreaking reactions by families and the harsh reality of India as it was then — and to some extent is even today — keep you engrossed and turning pages. What’s fascinating is that as you read, you find yourself questioning who you are, and how you would react had you been in such the same position as Rohini, Hanif or their family members. It may even leave you re-evaluating who you think you know yourself as.
- Kim Kardashian-Kanye West's daughter's name decided?
- Film review: World War Z has moments where its heart is in the right place, but the whole exercise seems lackluster
- Alcohol is way more dangerous than marijuana, says Miley Cyrus
- The film industry means everything to me: Akshay Kumar
- Paris Jackson shunned celebrating birthdays after Michael Jackson's death
- Kim Kardashian, Kanye West baby's birth video not for reality show
- Jackie Chan admires Bollywood, welcomes Indo-Chinese Cine collaboration
- Justin Bieber gets clean chit in hit and run case
- Bollywood actress Jiah Khan died of hanging: Postmortem report
- Tanishaa Mukherjee's role models
Book: Silk Fish Opium
- Nitish Kumar wins trust vote, says BJP won't win in 2014 - 18 hours ago
- After 3G, Vodafone slashes 2G data rates 80% - 19 hours ago
- Roads washed away, so IAF needs to make 400 rescue sorties to Kedarnath - 22 hours ago
- World's first flying car up for sale for nearly $1 million - 10 hours ago
- Uttarakhand toll reaches 150, PM announces Rs1000 crore aid - 7 hours ago
- To pump up the volume, Sony lines up Rs15K Bravia for small towns - 19 hours ago
- Nitish Kumar mocks Narendra Modi's development model, says 'can't accept divisive politics' - 13 hours ago
- Serena Williams in a soup for saying 'rape victim should have not put herself in that position' - 18 hours ago
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer! - 17 hours ago
- Monsoon havoc claims more lives in north India, toll mounts to 128 - 15 hours ago