Film: Kya Super Kool Hai Hum
Director: Sachin Yardi
Cast: Tusshar, Riteish Deshmukh, Sarah Jane-Dias and Neha Sharma
If you are mildly offended by the headline of this review, chances are you will find Kya Super Kool Hai Hum (KSKHH) to be an assault to your senses. Racial slurs, double entendres, homosexual references; even albinos aren’t spared. Nor are those suffering from progeria (blame it on Paa).
Director Sachin Yardi’s KSKHH revels in its ability to present one stereotype after another in a long orgy of sex jokes, private parts’ references and general stupidity. It’s funny initially, and you feel like you may be in for a laugh riot. But KSKHH is like a party that starts to get boring in the first hour, one you keep looking for ways to get out of. And if you do stay till the end, a headache-inducing hangover is a certainty.
You can almost play in your head the scene unfolding at the Balaji office a few months ago. Yardi would have been in deep discussion with Ekta Kapoor, the producer of this fracas, and shelled out one forgotten college joke after another. “Mere do anmol ratan”, “Bade achhe lagte hain”, “Main macho doonga,”, “Meri maa ka naam Rosemary Marlow (Roz meri maar lo, geddit?)”. A round of sniggers would have followed; the project, green-lit.
Fairly, KSKHH must get the benefit of the doubt– it’s meant to be guilty pleasure all along, and being overtly crass and naughty comes with the package. But that is not really KSKHH’s problem. The problem is that the gags drain out quicker than the extent to which you can withstand Tusshar on screen. The odd scene does make you chuckle but the effort to barge you with puns is so laboured, it puts you off after a while.
In 2005, Tusshar and Riteish Deshmukh, two not particularly famous actors, came together in a sex comedy that became a surprise hit. Kya Kool Hai Hum gave a fillip to Riteish’s career, his portrayal of the sex-starved maniac bringing the house down. Tusshar couldn’t act then. Seven years later, nothing’s changed.
Riteish, to some extent, salvages KSKHH with his impeccable comic timing and boyish charm. The film’s best scenes have the actor holding centre-stage. Tushhar, on the other hand, gets to star in another enterprise that suffers on account of his mere presence. The guy can’t act, the comic timing’s missing, and he generally gets on your nerves. As luck would have it, being the producer’s brother comes with a few luxuries (once again) – living out your fantasies on-screen, for example. In one scene, a buffed-up Tusshar emerges out of the water, flexing muscles, before pushing his underwear down ala John Abraham in Dostana. That scene alone is reason to stay away from KSKHH.
The women – Sarah Jane-Dias and Neha Sharma – seem to be enjoying themselves and do a decent job. Chunkey Pandey makes you wonder why he came back to films. Anupam Kher makes you wonder the lengths actors of fine talent go to in their desperation to stay in the public eye and make a quick buck.
Kya Super Kool Hai Hum amuses you intermittently but largely leaves your brains in a tangle, and the mind gasping for breath. In other words, dimaag ki macho deta hai.
- First man standing
- Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart call it quits, again!
- 'Slimmer' Aishwarya Rai is back at Cannes, daughter Aaradhya in hand
- I am coming to india this year: Lisa Ray
- Ranbir Kapoor is the only one competing with big boys: Ranveer Singh
- Angelina Jolie to play the role of own mother Marcheline Bertrand in new biopic
- Irrfan Khan leaves for Cannes
- I can tell my children they won't lose me to breast cancer, says Angelina Jolie
- While shooting, I didn't think Ranbir Kapoor is my ex-boyfriend: Deepika Padukone
Film: Kya Super Kool Hai Hum
- 'Slimmer' Aishwarya Rai is back at Cannes, daughter Aaradhya in hand - 14 hours ago
- IPL spot-fixing: Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against players, BCCI awaits inquiry report - 13 hours ago
- Ajit Chandila bought denims worth Rs 2.5 lakh - 14 hours ago
- It's time for the BJP to say 'Modi for PM' - 14 hours ago
- While shooting, I didn't think Ranbir Kapoor is my ex-boyfriend: Deepika Padukone - 16 hours ago
- IPL 6: Delhi Daredevils lose by 38 runs to Pune Warriors, finish last - 9 hours ago
- Google I/O 2013: Things you should know - 16 hours ago
- Magneto's kids to tear up the screen in Avengers 2; will Black Panther join them? - 23 hours ago
- Moon meteor blast 'visible to naked eye on Earth', says NASA - 7 hours ago
- 'Suffocating' Sanjay Dutt will not file plea to change cell - 17 hours ago