Film: Challo Driver
Cast: Vickrant Mahajan, Kainaz Motivala, Prem Chopra
Director: Vickrant Mahajan
The nicest thing that can be said about Challo Driver is that it’s not atrocious. That said, it’s no prize either.
The story is that of a puritanical slave-driver-with-a-heart Arjun Kapoor (played by Mr director Vickrant Mahajan himself) and a typical Punjabi girl with an attitude Tanaya Malhotra (Kainaz Motivala). Tanaya, in need of money in order to start her own adventure travel agency, slips into the driver' s seat to play chauffeur to Arjun and that is what the entire film revolves around, a woman doing a man's job and dealing with the verbal sexual harassment that follows women stepping out of conventional roles.
I’m sure the film was supposed to be a comment on feminism and the film stays true to it in quite a few ways but slips again and again in order to make it the typical Mills&Boons saga it turns out to be.
The film progresses as a very simple straight-up tale of love slowly blooming between the two (who didn't see that coming), In fact it is so simple that Mahajan doesn't even bother introducing a harrowing enough twist to give the story any depth. I don't know whether to appreciate the simplicity of it, or yawn.
The film is categorised as a "romcom" (romantic comedy). Now, is it a 'rom'? Yes most definitely, the romance is just waiting to happen from the very first scene, but is it a 'com'? Only the scenes involving Manoj Pahwa, who gives a hilarious performance as Tanaya's loud and obnoxious Pappu uncle from Jalandhar who starts all his sentences with "oye..", qualify as comedy.
The performances are strictly average. After her strong performance in Ragini MMS, the bar was set high but Motivala, sadly, falls short. While there are moments where she is charming, she looks too made up and delivers her dialogues like an 8-year-old in a school play. Mahajan should have stuck to direction and let an actual actor with actual acting skills take the lead. Prem Chopra is okay but not worth going on about, and what VJ Juhi is doing in the film with her blank face and flat dialogue delivery is beyond me.
The concept behind Challo Driver is decent enough but a bad script, uninspiring performances and the dialogues ruin what could have been a feel-good flick.
Should you watch this film? No. There must be better ways to spend your time.
- Shah Rukh Khan to promote Chennai Express during IPL final
- Salman Khan's Mental co-star Sana charged with attempted kidnap
- Jennifer Aniston 'worked incredibly hard' for stripper body
- Dabangg 3? After 3 years!
- I don't trust anyone: Justin Beiber
- Salman Khan puts his Mental troubles behind; to resume shooting next week
- Salman Khan's Mental co-star Sana Khan on the run after being charged with kidnapping of 15-year-old girl
- Priyanka Chopra's transformation
- Paris Hilton to record second album
- Film review: Watch Ishkq in Paris if you are a die-hard Preity Zinta fan
Film: Challo Driver
- MS Dhoni's wife Sakshi tweets tongue-in-cheek Bollywood song that appears to be IPL spot-fixing comment - 16 hours ago
- dna exclusive: Gurunath Meiyappan always had links with bookies of Chennai, Dubai, reveals BCCI chief N Srinivasan's son Ashwin - 7 hours ago
- Salman Khan's Mental co-star Sana Khan on the run after being charged with kidnapping of 15-year-old girl - 1 hour ago
- Pakistani has a change of heart, and it's Indian - 7 hours ago
- Arbaaz Khan wants to direct Shah Rukh Khan - 17 hours ago
- Duster clone, Evalia refresh, DatsunÃ,Â…new Nissan boss aims to double sales - 6 hours ago
- After Aishwarya Rai-Bachchan, Vidya Balan, Ameesha Patel adds Bollywood tadka to red carpet at Cannes - 20 hours ago
- Review: Fast & Furious 6 is director Justin Lin's biggest canvas in the series - 21 hours ago
- Srinivasan's son-in-law gives city cops the slip - 7 hours ago
- In sheer, plunging dress Irina Shayk narrowly escapes wardrobe malfunction at Cannes - 21 hours ago