Fresh admissions to Delhi University (DU) for the 2014-15 academic session under the three-year course will commence from Tuesday, a week behind schedule following the row over the controversial four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP).
According to the new schedule and guidelines uploaded by the university on its website late on Saturday night, the first cut off list will be declared on July 1 and students who have registered for the current academic year will be eligible for admission to all courses wherever they meet the criteria. Based on the first cut-off list, students can take admission to colleges till July 3. The next cut-off list would be announced on July 4, followed by six more such admission lists. The last date of admissions would be July 31.
Giving another chance to those students who have missed the deadline to fill application forms, the varsity has allowed them to take admission by filling the university registration form along with the college admission form. According the guidelines, the admissions would take place as per the 2012-13 academic session. Also, the students are supposed to give an undertaking declaring that they were taking admission in an undergraduate course of three-year duration in "full consciousness and awareness".
The admissions were to begin from June 24 but were delayed due to the row over FYUP between DU and the University Grants Commission (UGC). Over 2.7 lakh students had applied for admission under the now scrapped FYUP to more than 54,000 seats in 64 colleges of the varsity.
The admission schedule came on a day when a 12-member committee of principals deliberated on how to go forward with the admission process and submitted their report to Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh.
The DU has also decided to discontinue its B Tech and Bachelor in Management Studies (BMS) courses and would not hold any fresh admissions to them. "New admissions for B Tech and BMS courses will not take place as they were not in existence in 2012-13," said S N Lakshmi, member of principals committee for the guidelines.
While there was no mention of B Tech courses in the list of guidelines, the university has decided to change back its BMS course to BBS and BA Hons (Business Economics). There was still no clarity on the fate of those already enrolled in the six four-year B Tech courses.
Hundreds of students staged a protest outside the HRD Ministry and submitted a representation demanding that the six B Tech courses introduced last academic session should not be scrapped. There are over 2500 students who have already completed one year in these streams.
The admission to BBS and BA Hons (Business Economics) would be held on the basis of the criteria already announced for BMS admission 2014-15. However, the best four subjects would be calculated as per the admission guideline for these courses prevalent in the year 2012-13. The seat distribution will be restored to the status 2012-13.
Centralised Counseling would take place as per the schedule to be announced, the guidelines notice said.
Additional eligibility criteria by colleges, which had been done away with by the university for admission to this academic session making the rules uniform for all, has been brought back in place. Detailed additional eligibility criteria of each college would be uploaded on the college website before the admission process begins and shall be prominently displayed on the college notice boards.
Admission of SC/ST and PwD category candidates would be carried out by respective colleges in the same manner as for the General and OBC category candidates. However, there would be no additional eligibility criteria for them.
The guidelines were formulated by a 12-member committee which was approved by the DU Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh.
Earlier in the day, the Academic and Executive Councils of the university passed a resolution to formally scrap FYUP and implement the three-year structure from the new academic session.
Students staged protests outside the HRD Ministry and submitted a representation demanding that the six B Tech courses should not be scrapped. B Tech students also staged a protest in North Campus of DU and took a rally from the VC's residence to his office. Some students tried to enter the VC's office, but were stopped from doing so by Delhi Police and Rapid Action Force (RAF) personnel.
The Ministry has assured that students' interest will be kept in mind and the UGC would be coming out with a statement on this issue.
The agitating students demanded that their course should not be converted to B Sc Delhi University yesterday decided to scrap the FYUP after UGC mounted pressure to roll it back. The VC had issued a statement asking principals of various colleges affiliated to the varsity to start admissions for the new session under the three-year format.