Railway minister Mallikarjun Kharge, who is also an MP from Gulbarga, the nerve-centre of Hyderabad-Karnataka, has much to offer the region in the railway budget, but has fallen short of expectations in rest of the state.
Kharge, who was instrumental in commissioning Raichur-Gadwal and Kadur-Chikmagalur sections, also has to his credit expediting line doubling work in Maddur-Mandya and Birur-Ajjampur sections that fall under South Western Railway (SWR).
Of the nine newly introduced trains in the interim budget, Kharge has ensure that four trains pass through the Hyderabad-Karnataka region. These include Hyderabad-Gulbarga daily, Yesvantpur-Jaipur, Yesvantpur-Katra and Varanasi-Mysore expressed.
He has also increased the frequency of three trains—Bidar-Yesvantpur, Hubli-Vijaywada and Hubli-Secunderabad—that will run via Hyderabad-Karnataka region from three days to daily.
However, demands like another train between Bangalore-Shimoga, Bangalore-Marikuppam, Bangalore-Bangarpet, and new trains between Hubli-Mangalore central, Bellary-Hospet and extension of some trains to Mysore from Bangalore and to Dharwad from Hubli have been left unattended.
Kharge also disappointed many by not mentioning about the demands of new lines between Bangalore-Hassan, Munirabad-Mehboobnagar, Chamrajnagar-Mettupalya, Chamrajnagar-Satyamangala, Kushalnagar-Madikeri and Hubli-Ankola.
1. Yesvantpur-Jaipur AC weekly express via Gulbarga, Pune, Vasai Road
2. Yesvantpur-Katra weekly express via Gulbarga, Kacheguda, Nagpur, New Delhi
3. Patna-Bangalore weekly express via Mughalsarai, Chheoki, Manikpur, Nagpur
4. Thiruvananthpuram-Bangalore (Yesvantpur) bi-weekly express via Erode and Tiruputtur.
5. Bangalore City-Chennai daily express via Bangarpet and Jolarpettai.
6. Howrah-Yesvantpur AC weekly express via Bhubaneswar, Gudur & Katpadi
7. Hubli-Mumbai weekly express via Bijapur, Solapur.
8. Varanasi-Mysore bi-weekly express via Wadi, Daund.
9. Hyderabad – Gulbarga intercity (daily)
1. Hubli-Belgaum daily fast passenger
Tri-weekly to daily
1. Bidar-Yesvantpur express
2. Hubli-Vijayawada Amaravathi express
3. Hubli-Secunderabad express