Karnataka govt to provide free housing for poor

Wednesday, 13 April 2011 - 11:15am IST | Place: Bangalore | Agency: DNA
The Karnataka state housing department had decided to acquire over 6,000 acres of land in and around Bangalore, with an intention of allotting sites and houses to the common man.

The Karnataka state housing department had decided to acquire over 6,000 acres of land in and around Bangalore, with an intention of allotting sites and houses to the common man.

Already, the government has issued a preliminary notification for acquisition of 312 acres in Tavarekere and 1,103 acres of land in Dodda Aaladamara, and shortly it will issue a final notification.

The government has also identified 2000 acres of land near Bengaluru International Airport, Devanahalli and within a fortnight, preliminary notification will be issued for acquisition of land.

Announcing this to media persons, housing minister V Somanna said several agencies including the Karnataka Housing Board (KHB) will take up formation of sites and construction of group houses for homeless poor people.

“There is a great demand for KHB houses and sites in and around Bangalore. In 6,000 acres, 24,000 sites will be formed. The rest of the land will be used for construction of group houses in 20x30ft, 30x60ft dimension plots,” Somanna said.

“As the government had already decided, 40% of the developed land will be given to farmers, while the remaining 60% will be with the state for allotment of sites to the public. We will give cheques as compensation for those who have original rights of the land, while no compensation will be given to GPA holders. Middlemen will not be allowed as well,” he said.

Somanna also said, “To cater to the rising demand for constructed houses, KHB is ready to develop group houses. In Vadegerahalli, near Kengeri, we have planned to build 14-floor apartments with 750 flats. Similarly, KHB will construct 790 flats in 10 acres of area in Bandemath, near Kengeri. The old KHB Quarters near Vijayanagara Club will be demolished fully and rebuilt again.”


Jump to comments

RELATED