A China-bound cargo ship rolled abruptly, injuring 18 crew members, after it hit rough weather in the Arabian Sea. The ship tilted to about 30 degrees throwing almost everything that was not nailed to its deck off Mangalore coast.
The ship, Asian Forest, was carrying 13,600 tonnes of iron ore from New Mangalore to China. There were 22 people on board when the incident happened.
Ship officials blamed the mishap on cargo loading error. The coast guard managed to save about 18 crew members including the ship's captain Yang Seng Yang. They have been brought to Mangalore and are receiving medical treatment. "The ship, which had sailed out Thursday, sent an SOS to the new Mangalore Port saying that that they were coming back after they hit bad weather. That's when the ship tilted," chairman of the New Mangalore Port P Tamilvanan told DNA.
According to the marine engineers, the ship will sink sometime on Saturday as the listing was severe on the starboard side and the cargo will only get more wet and gain weight which will hasten the final plunge.
- Bride killed on eve of wedding, but who's the killer?
- Double whammy for Siddaramaiah
- Rain chills, uproots, inundates
- Bomb threat call received at IIM Bangalore
- Now, vedic education is academic
- Sex, lies, blackmail, a slap and a murder
- Corporators' day out in council meet
- Friend in deed, partners in criminal deed
- BMTC increases fleet and adds new routes
- Denied a US visa? FKCCI just complained on your behalf
- MS Dhoni's wife Sakshi tweets tongue-in-cheek Bollywood song that appears to be IPL spot-fixing comment - 15 hours ago
- dna exclusive: Gurunath Meiyappan always had links with bookies of Chennai, Dubai, reveals BCCI chief N Srinivasan's son Ashwin - 6 hours ago
- Pakistani has a change of heart, and it's Indian - 5 hours ago
- Salman Khan's Mental co-star Sana Khan on the run after being charged with kidnapping of 15-year-old girl - 40 minutes ago
- Arbaaz Khan wants to direct Shah Rukh Khan - 16 hours ago
- After Aishwarya Rai-Bachchan, Vidya Balan, Ameesha Patel adds Bollywood tadka to red carpet at Cannes - 19 hours ago
- Duster clone, Evalia refresh, DatsunÂ new Nissan boss aims to double sales - 4 hours ago
- Review: Fast & Furious 6 is director Justin Lin's biggest canvas in the series - 20 hours ago
- Srinivasan's son-in-law gives city cops the slip - 6 hours ago
- In sheer, plunging dress Irina Shayk narrowly escapes wardrobe malfunction at Cannes - 19 hours ago