BOTAD:7 years jail for rape
A fast-track court in Botad has sentenced one Sanjay Virja to seven year’s rigorous imprisonment and a fine of Rs3,000 for raping a minor. As per the charge sheet, Virja had in July 2010 kidnapped the girl and raped her in the open in a village near Botad. After considering facts in the case and statement of the victim, the court pronounced the verdict on Tuesday.
BECHARAJI:Bahucharaji gets first idol in 5,200 years
In Pranpratishta (incarnation of god in an idol) celebrations of Goddess Bahucharaji, helicopters showered flowers on the temple for six hours. A grand celebration is being held in the temple town for past five days as a new idol is being installed – for the first time in 5,200 years of the temple. As per temple trust officials, 25 lakh devotees have visited the temple last week.
DIODAR:Teacher booked for raping student
Police have booked a teacher for raping a student. As per police, the teacher vanished with the Class XII girl. He raped her several times in different towns and then abandoned her in Patan. The girl managed to reach home and registered a complaint with police about what happened with her over the fortnight. Police has launched an operation to nab the teacher, who is now absconding.
RAJKOT:Man quotes six-figure for a ten-digiter
Exclusivity, they say, comes at a price. A man from Bhuj has bid Rs1.81 lakh for a cellphone number – 9409411111. Another person from Rajkot has ‘bought’ 9409494094 for Rs58,000. The ‘sale’ is, in fact, an auction conducted by Gujarat BSNL that offers customers a number of their choice. People can bid online for the unique numbers.
MEHSANA:Four killed in accident
Late night on Monday, four people were killed and eight injured in a collision involving GSRTC bus and a jeep at Thavar, Dhanera. As per police, three died on the spot while another succumbed to injuries on way to hospital. The injured have been admitted to a government hospital in Dhanera.
DAHOD:Fire kills eight puppies
A fire broke out in Dahod’s Nana Vandaria village on Monday and eight puppies, which were sleeping under a grass shelter, were charred to death. Two other young ones managed to escape with the dog, said villagers.
BHUJ:Tragedy for baraati
Three youngsters were killed and as many were injured on Monday, when their vehicle turned turtle near Radhanpur. The deceased were residents of Bhuj and were travelling to Patan to attend a wedding. As per police, the driver lost control of the vehicle they were travelling in. The three injured were rushed to a public health centre in Radhanpur.
PORBANDAR:Public assns help solve civic issues
Porbandar Nagarpalika has collaborated with leading public institutions to solve civic issues of traffic, waste management and sanitation in the town. While the municipality will raise 70% of grant for public dustbins and installing traffic signals, public institutions will raise rest of the amount.
A Dalit was stabbed to death by an unidentified man at Botad on Tuesday. The deceased have been identified as Pintu Makwana, 20. He was taken to the hospital, but succumbed to injuries. Police has registered a case of murder and launched investigation in the matter.
RAJKOT:Tax collection gains momentum
Rajkot Municipal Corporation (RMC)’s drive to collect outstanding property tax has gained momentum . In last 24 hours, RMC sealed 56 properties for non-payment of property tax. Officials also collected Rs10 lakh from other 25 properties.
- Narendra Modi's day@Dilli durbar!
- No surprise this: Sr VP & VP of GCCI elected uncontested
- Cyclists to lose track along new BRTS corridors
- Lack of coordination between AMC, traffic cops leads to chaos
- After suspension, is it dismissal for Sanjiv Bhatt?
- We will give life, not land: Villagers
- Ahmedabad: Come rain, or maybe some thundershowers today
- Gujarat's plan outlay set at 15.7% higher than '12
- Cept proposes 66% fee hike for UG courses
- Ishrat Jahan case: CBI gets 16 days to charge-sheet, but Satish Verma for only 5 days
BOTAD:7 years jail for rape
- Nitish Kumar wins trust vote, says BJP won't win in 2014 - 16 hours ago
- After 3G, Vodafone slashes 2G data rates 80% - 17 hours ago
- Roads washed away, so IAF needs to make 400 rescue sorties to Kedarnath - 19 hours ago
- World's first flying car up for sale for nearly $1 million - 8 hours ago
- Uttarakhand toll reaches 150, PM announces Rs1000 crore aid - 5 hours ago
- To pump up the volume, Sony lines up Rs15K Bravia for small towns - 17 hours ago
- Nitish Kumar mocks Narendra Modi's development model, says 'can't accept divisive politics' - 11 hours ago
- Serena Williams in a soup for saying 'rape victim should have not put herself in that position' - 16 hours ago
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer! - 14 hours ago
- Monsoon havoc claims more lives in north India, toll mounts to 128 - 13 hours ago