Class XII science students willing to brave the elements can look at an offbeat study option. The College of Fire Technology, Ahemedabad is offering a unique three-year BSc in (Fire and Safety) course with a degree from Gujarat University.
The standards of the course are acknowledged by the Institution of Fire Engineers, India. CFT is also affiliated with the world's leading Institution of Fire Engineers, UK and National Fire Protection Association, USA.
"India needs 600-700 fire safety officers per year. But there are just handful colleges to train such professionals," said Vikram Bhagat, managing trustee, CFT. "They aren't just required by fire brigades, but at all places at risk of fire disasters," he added.
From simulated fire fighting exercises to applied physics, chemistry, mathematics, electrical, students learn everything during their training. "The course has subjects like town planning, disaster mitigation, hydraulics, fire communication systems and salvage investigation." Students can also pursue further studies abroad, as pay packages for postgraduates are around USD60,000-70,000 in USA and £8,000-35,000 in UK."
Other countries require highly educated professionals in this field. So, we have tied up with University of Leeds, UK and Worcester Polytechnic Institute, USA to give direct admissions to students for their MSc (Fire) courses," informed Bhagat.
In India also, students will get placed in companies like ONGC, L&T, Shell, Reliance. "Salaries can range between Rs12000 and 25000 per month as per the industry. But this figure can rise to Rs6lakh per annum in five years," added Bhat.
50% marks in Class XII (science)
Course cost: Rs55000 per year
Admission deadline: June 30
Work as fire officers in defence, railways, airports, electricity boards, oil firms, manufacturing, municipal corporations or as fire surveyors, risk management consultants, fire systems designers, manufacturers of fire equipment
- IPL 6: Rajasthan Royals beat SRH by 4 wickets; to play Mumbai Indians for place in the final - 14 hours ago
- Sexual harassment: Few learn from mistakes - 23 hours ago
- Sanjay Dutt's quick shift from Mumbai to Pune brings back memories of 'Operation X' - 23 hours ago
- Narendra Modi wants to wage virtual war against Congress - 1 day ago
- Shilpa Shetty and Raj Kundra's son Viaan gets a Lamborghini as first birthday gift - 14 hours ago
- Shashi Kant Sharma appointment as CAG illegal: Prashant Bhushan - 1 day ago
- Sizzling chemistry continues between Ranbir Kapoor, Deepika Padukone despite break-up - 11 hours ago
- Pune Warriors retreat from the IPL - 23 hours ago
- Angelina Jolie makes Jennifer Aniston cry - 19 hours ago
- Goa MIT student Andrea Colaco invents gesture-recognition smartphone technology - 15 hours ago